This week I was really thinking about what would be a good blog topic, and I couldn't think of anything. So I decided to write about my favorite sport, which is hockey, and how my family is really tied into it. Ever since I can remember I have always gone to watch my dad, uncles, and cousins play hockey, so it was no surprise when I started playing about 12 years ago. My dad and his brothers have been playing their entire lives, and I can remember watching them play every winter in Detroit, at Clark Park, which is an outside rink. I was really excited when I was finally allowed to play in those games every Super Bowl Sunday. I have two older cousins who I grew up watching too. My one cousin played for WMU, and then played for about 5 years in the ECHL. My other cousin played for the Plymouth Whalers, and also played in the AHL, ECHL, and IHL. He currently plays in Italy, and will most likely be playing for them in the 2010 olympics in Vancouver. But one thing Ill never forget is when he was called up to the NHL to play for the Carolina Hurricanes. This all started back in 2001 when my family vacation that year was to travel to Boston for the NHL Draft. My cousin was drafted by the Hurricanes, and played for their farm team for the next few years. In 2003 I remember my uncle calling my dad and telling him my cousin was playing that weekend for the Hurricanes. So of course my dad and aunt flew to Carolina to watch the game in person. The rest of my family went to my uncles house to watch the game. It was a really big inspiration to see my own cousin in the NHL, and playing with some of the best players in the world. Well later in the game, we all got to see my cousin score his first goal in his first NHL game. We all were going crazy and couldn't believe it. And later that night when we came home, we put on sportscenter to wait for the game highlights. And better yet, his goal was the third top play of the week! Hockey has always been a big part of my family, and Im lucky to be so close to them and be able to join in on it. So below I'm posting the link to the youtube video of my cousins goal.
www.youtube.com/v/5rn2ZtUMSMg
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jordan,
You have an Italian connection? Where does your cousin live? Does he speak the language? Have you been to Italy? How does it feel to have hockey in your life?
Post a Comment